This week, one or our topics of focus was Puentedura’s SAMR model, a four-level approach to describing and categorizing the utilization of technology in the k-12 classroom (Hamilton, Rosenberg & Akcoaglu, 2016). The infographic that I have posted down below is one that has helped me to apply the principles of SAMR to a variety of real-world contexts, which I would like to briefly summarize with the common class task of reading in mind:

1. Substitution, the first level of the SAMR model, includes digital technology being replaced with analog technology, with no functional change (Hamilton, Rosenberg & Akcoaglu, 2016). For reading, this could mean using a computer to access a PDF rather than a printed version (Integrating technology into your classroom with the SAMR model, 2018).
  2. Augmentation, the second level of the SAMR model, includes digital technology being replaced with analog technology, but with a functional change (Hamilton, Rosenberg & Akcoaglu, 2016). For reading, this could mean using a computer to access a PDF and making use of the key word search or dictionary add-on to highlight terms (Integrating technology into your classroom with the SAMR model, 2018).
  3. Modification, the third level of the SAMR model, includes technology actually redesigning the task at hand (Hamilton, Rosenberg & Akcoaglu, 2016). For reading, this could mean annotating a digital PDF with the help of an app (Integrating technology into your classroom with the SAMR model, 2018).
  4. Redefinition, the fourth level of the SAMR model, includes technology creating a whole new task (Hamilton, Rosenberg & Akcoaglu, 2016). For reading, this could mean accessing a interactive iBook with voice recordings and embedded practice questions (Integrating technology into your classroom with the SAMR model, 2018).
Integrating technology into your classroom with the SAMR model, 2018

Puentendura advocates that higher levels of teaching and learning are achieved when an instructor uses technology according to the upper levels of the SAMR model (Hamilton, Rosenberg & Akcoaglu, 2016). That being said, I have reflected upon instances in my experience as a student with technology being practically a necessity for learning. Specifically, one major way that I adhere to the modification level of SAMR is by using the Notability app on my iPad to add details to slides during a professor’s lecture – this has truly made a difference for me as I no longer struggle to write everything down; I can instead actively listen and make notes as needed. As well, with this year being online, I have regularly made use of GoogleDocs to collaborate on group assignments, an example of augmentation.

Moving forward, the embedded video brought up a scenario that pushed my to recognize the importance of the SAMR model – it initially discusses that if we, as teachers, are not searching for interactive technology experiences for our students to demonstrate their understandings with, than an iPad cart can quickly become merely an overpriced way of accessing worksheets (Spencer, 2015). Thus, especially because in BC we are so privileged to have technology resources, their use in a school setting needs to be intentional. One thing that I could see myself struggling with however is staying “in the loop” with all the task “redefining” technology – there is so much out there, and oftentimes it is quite the commitment to become familiar with just one. I’m not exactly sure how to approach this in the classroom; I am wondering if even allowing students to do an inquiry project on a means of technology would be a practical way of learning more and capitalizing on their individual interests. I’d love to hear more thoughts on this, thanks!

References.

Hamilton, E. R., Rosenberg, J. M., & Akcaoglu, M. (2016). The substitution augmentation modification redefinition (SAMR) model: A critical
review and suggestions for its use. Techtrends, 60(5), 433-441. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11528-016-0091-y

Integrating technology into your classroom with the SAMR model. (2018, March 08). Retrieved from https://startime.com.au/blog/2018/03/07/
integrating-technology-classroom-samr-model/

John Spencer. (2015, November 3rd). What is the SAMR Model and what does it look like in schools? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC5ARwUkVQg